The University of Nebraska has commenced a national search for the position of Executive Vice President and Provost. Dr. Linda Ray Pratt, who has served in this role since 2006, plans to step down on June 30 to return to her professional roots in the Department of English at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The executive vice president and provost is the university’s ranking academic and administrative officer after the president. The executive vice president and provost advises the president, chancellors and Board of Regents on matters related to academic affairs, graduate studies and research, and also is responsible for recommending changes or additions to academic programs and reviewing promotion and tenure recommendations. The provost’s office oversees academic programs and activities, including global engagement initiatives and institutional research, at the university.
University of Nebraska President James B. Milliken has named a 10-member search committee comprised of representatives from the student body, faculty, and administration to identify, recruit and recommend candidates for this important role. The committee will be chaired by Susan Poser, Dean of the College of Law at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Other members include:
- Faisal Ahmed, Student Regent, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- John Bartle, Acting Dean, College of Public Affairs and Community Service, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Charlie Bicak, Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- H. Dele Davies, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean of Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Ronnie Green, Vice President/Harlan Vice Chancellor of the Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska
- David Lechner, Vice President for Business and Finance, University of Nebraska
- Jim Lewis, Professor (Mathematics), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Sarah Thompson, Professor and Associate Dean, College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Sharon Wood, Chairperson (History), University of Nebraska at Omaha
Additional information on the position may be found at http://www.nebraska.edu/docs/hr/jobdescriptions/ProvostPositionDescription2012.pdf
Milliken said he hopes to name the new executive vice president and provost this summer.
Contact: Melissa Lee
(402) 580-3297 (cell)