The position of Associate to the President was held until recently by Dr. Denise Maybank. An additional appointment in Academic Affairs was added to the position to reflect expanded responsibilities in recruitment and retention of students of color and diverse faculty and staff, including women. The new Associate to the President/Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs for Diversity (AP/AVP) will also work with university-wide committees to address issues of diversity and equity, will identify strategies to strengthen accountability to equity and diversity throughout the university, and will make recommendations on the allocation of funds to improve the university’s efforts in this regard, among other duties.
The added emphasis of the position reflects President Milliken’s view that the University of Nebraska should respond aggressively to the changing demographics in Nebraska and nationally, and should ensure that its policies and strategies facilitate recruitment and retention of diverse students, faculty and staff.
"The University of Nebraska was created to serve the needs of all Nebraskans, and I am committed to this principle," Milliken said. "Making sure higher education is accessible and affordable for everyone is critical to the educational and economic development of our state. In addition, increasing the diversity of our faculty is not only the policy of the Board of Regents and administration of the university, but also of the Nebraska Legislature. This position will provide important assistance to the Office of the President, the chancellors, and others on the campuses to help ensure that the university is progressing in its efforts to become a more diverse and inclusive environment."
Members of the search committee include:
- Lisa Avila - Student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Theresa Barron-McKeagney, Ph.D. - Associate Professor and Director of the School of Social Work, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Jerry Cederblom, Ph.D - Professor and Chair of the Goodrich Program, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Fred Conley - Outreach/Enterprise Zone Manager, Greater Omaha Workforce Development
- Jake Kirkland, Jr., Ed.D. - Assistant Director of Career Services, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Susan Poser, J.D., Ph.D. - Associate Professor, College of Law, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Nita Unruh, Ed.D. - Associate Professor, Health, Physical Education & Recreation, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Ed Wimes - Assistant Vice President and Director of Human Resources, Office of the President, University of Nebraska
- Ron Withem - Associate Vice President for University Affairs and Director of Governmental Relations, Office of the President, University of Nebraska