All Journal Entries
President's Journal Entries

President Bounds meeting UNO students during his two-day campus visit.
Feeling the ‘Mav Spirit’ at UNO
Omaha | Aug. 10 - 11, 2015
What a great visit to UNO! I spent two full days meeting with students and campus leadership, learning about the exciting things going on in research, education and student life, and touring campus – including a sneak peek at the new Baxter Arena. I can’t wait to be back to see the puck drop at a Mav hockey game! It’s a great time to be a Maverick, and I’m optimistic about what the upcoming academic year holds for Nebraska’s metropolitan university.

It would be impossible to cover all the highlights of my UNO visit, but of course one of the bright spots was the opportunity to spend time with students. UNO is a place where students really do come first, and that comes through everywhere on campus… new academic programs that are meeting student needs and preparing them for the workforce, a commitment to affordability and access that keeps a UNO education within reach for Nebraskans, new facilities that are enhancing the student experience in and outside of the classroom. As UNO student-body president Brock Lewis told me on Twitter, there’s nothing better than a university that works for students – and UNO is a true model in this regard.

As just one example, UNO is widely known for its commitment to serving military students. Military Times magazine, in fact, has named UNO the nation’s best four-year institution for veterans – a testament to the campus’ efforts to make sure military students have access to the services they need to earn a degree and begin their careers. Of course, I also congratulate the students themselves, who have served us in a way we can never really repay.

UNO also does an outstanding job of serving students who have traditionally been underrepresented in higher education, including first-generation and minority students. The campus is a great reflection of the community it serves. I support UNO’s goals to grow enrollment by expanding access to even more students and hope we will continue to see growth in key areas like business and information science and technology.

While on campus, I invited the Maverick family to tell me on Twitter what they love most about UNO – and the responses were incredible. Mavericks are incredibly passionate about their university and I loved reading their comments. Some discovered their career path at UNO, some found a club or team that matches their interests, some have a favorite spot on campus, and many spoke about the support they’d received from faculty, advisers or friends at UNO.

Whatever your reason for loving UNO, I’m delighted that the campus is having such a positive impact on our students and the community. Thanks to the UNO family for the warm welcome to campus, and I can’t wait to return soon!

Touring the UNK campus with Louie the Loper!
UNK – a campus of “difference makers”
Kearney, NE | July 14-15, 2015
One of the great joys of my job is getting to visit the University of Nebraska’s individual campuses. There’s nothing like meeting our students face-to-face, talking with faculty about their teaching and research, and getting a firsthand look at the dynamic growth happening across the university.

I recently had the opportunity to spend a few days at UNK – and what a great experience it was. Even with many students and faculty gone for the summer, it’s easy to get a sense of the momentum and opportunity on campus. As UNK approaches its 25th anniversary of joining the University of Nebraska family next year, it’s doing more than ever to serve as the educational hub of rural Nebraska, providing access to excellent education for students across the state and engaging with Kearney and surrounding communities in new and innovative ways. There’s never been a better time to be a Loper!

UNK is a terrific model for some of my university-wide goals. First, this is a campus where students come first. UNK is a close-knit community where students can find the support they need to be successful, from caring faculty to small classes to learning communities in the residence halls. These types of services are especially important for a campus that serves many students who are the first in their families to attend college, as UNK does.

And, UNK is partnering with other NU campuses in ways that I’d like to see replicated across the university. The new Health Science Education Complex, which will open later this year, is a unique partnership with UNMC that will expand educational opportunities for students in nursing and allied health programs and meet critical workforce needs in rural Nebraska. The facts are clear: Our state’s rural communities face a shortage of nurses, physical therapists, physician assistants and other allied health workers. The health science complex will help address those needs.

The best part of my visit was engaging with the campus community. Thanks to everyone who provided a warm welcome – in person or on Twitter, where many friends shared their favorite campus spots. I even got the chance to hop on a golf cart with Louie the Loper to see some campus landmarks! I can’t wait to return.

On the way back home, I stopped for visits with the Hastings Tribune, KHAS radio and NBC Nebraska. Fresh off my UNK visit, I had plenty to talk about! You can see the newspaper’s coverage here.

NU President Hank Bounds with Wendy Birdsall, president of the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce.
‘Holding hands’ with the business community
Lincoln, NE | June 10, 2015
I recently had the opportunity to speak at the Lincoln “Face the Chamber” about the potential for increased collaboration between the University of Nebraska and the business community. The room was packed and I had a great dialogue with key private sector leaders who are driving Lincoln’s economy – the people contributing to the city’s low unemployment, momentum and high quality of life.

As I told Chamber members, the University of Nebraska absolutely has the potential to be one of the world’s great universities. I truly believe the best days for the university – and the state – are ahead of us. But to get there, we’ll need to work hand-in-hand with the business community. We need to partner to make sure our students have access to competitive internships that prepare them to be successful in the workforce, to attract the best and brightest students from around the state and beyond, and to make sure Nebraska is a place where young people will want to stay after graduation.

This means doing a better job of telling the story of our state – Nebraska has so much to offer – and also making sure we’re offering the high-quality, high-paying jobs that will keep top talent here. Judging by the frequency with which Lincoln, Omaha, Kearney and other Nebraska communities are appearing on economic “best-of” lists, I think we’re doing a great job – and can do even more to ensure the economic competitiveness of our cities and state. This goal is personal for me. I want Nebraska to be a place where my children Will and Caroline want to live and work and raise families. I know other parents want the same.

For the university’s part, we owe it to our partners in the private sector to make sure they have a robust talent pool to choose from when hiring new employees. We need to stay sharply focused on our goals to significantly grow enrollment and improve retention and graduation rates so that more students are entering the workforce pipeline and meeting economic needs in our state.

You can read the Lincoln Journal Star’s story about my appearance at “Face the Chamber”, and KLKN’s coverage. Thanks to the Lincoln Chamber for hosting me. I’m excited to work with business leaders across our state on growing the economy and keeping Nebraska strong.

NU President Hank Bounds addresses members of Nebraska's congressional delegation and their staffers in Washington, D.C.
Nebraskans on Capitol Hill
Washington, D.C. | May 18-20, 2015
What an honor to visit our nation’s capital and spend time with members of Nebraska’s congressional delegation. I and members of the Board of Regents who joined me in Washington thank our representatives for meeting with us and engaging in productive and collaborative discussions.

I want the University of Nebraska to dream big – and I was thrilled that our congressional delegation displayed the same enthusiasm for our potential for leadership in areas like medicine, agriculture, national security and other areas that matter to our state and the country. Working together with our federal partners, I am confident the university will continue our upward trajectory. My vision is for the University of Nebraska to be a giant in higher education, and Congress – which makes vital investments in research and student financial aid – will play an important role in our success.

One of the highlights of my trip was when Congressman Jeff Fortenberry graciously yielded his time to me at the Nebraska Breakfast, the weekly breakfast our delegation hosts for constituents visiting the capital. By the time I wrapped up my remarks, we had run out of time for the Congressman to walk us through his presentation on the nation’s budget! I’ll make time for that on my next visit – and greatly appreciated the opportunity to say a few words about my excitement for the future of the university.

Meetings with other members of our delegation – Sen. Deb Fischer, Sen. Ben Sasse, Rep. Adrian Smith and Rep. Brad Ashford – were equally productive and engaging.

We also had the opportunity to meet with some key thought leaders in higher education, including Terry Hartle, senior vice president in the Division of Government and Public Affairs at the American Council on Education, with whom we discussed issues related to affordability, campus safety and financial aid. We met with Tony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, who provided excellent insights into our role in preparing the skilled employees who are more in demand every day.

Thanks again to Nebraska’s congressional representatives for all they do on behalf of the people of our state. I’m excited to return to Capitol Hill soon.

NU President Hank Bounds offered welcoming remarks.
TEDxLincolnWomen – inspiring women and girls here and around the world
Lincoln, NE | May 28, 2015
I was pleased to be a part of today’s sold-out TEDxLincolnWomen event at Nebraska Innovation Campus. The theme of “Momentum” perfectly fit our venue – the university’s research and development campus that will soon be bustling with activity by students, faculty and private sector workers. I joined 400-plus guests in listening to local leaders talk about the significant impact that women and girls can have in the world. We heard from Krupa Savalia, an M.D./Ph.D. scholar and former student regent from UNMC, about working with life’s unexpected outcomes.

Krupa is one of our best and brightest – exactly the type of student we want attract to the university – and it was a joy to hear her speak. Councilwoman Leirion Gaylor Baird talked about the intriguing link between physics and city planning – showing that Lincoln’s success and development is no accident. Climate activist Kim Morrow shared her thoughts on being a moral leader and climate advocate, and Prairie Schooner managing editor Ashley Strosnider explained why it matters who decides what you’re reading.

The focus on women’s ability to make an impact was timely and relevant. Women control $20 trillion in annual consumer spending, and are out-pacing men in educational attainment. Women and girls really can change the world…a fact made clear by today’s speakers. I left TEDxLincolnWomen feeling even more inspired and excited about the future of the university, our city and our state. We’ll need the talents and ideas of all members of our community to keep our momentum going. I am convinced our best days are ahead of us.

NU President Hank Bounds tours the West Central Research and Extension Center, learning more about research in water, entomology, and other critical areas.
On top of the world…
North Platte | April 13-14, 2015
What a treat to end Day 2 of my Nebraska tour with dinner at the beautiful Golden Spike Tower, which offers a panoramic view of the world’s largest railyard. The scenery was stunning, the food was delicious, and the conversation with university stakeholders was rich and engaging. My thanks to those who participated, including the Chairman of the Board of Regents, Bob Phares, who hosted us in his hometown.

The next morning, to kick off Day 3 of my tour, I had breakfast with faculty and staff from our West Central Research and Extension Center. WCREC was created more than a century ago to study water – and we’re still doing that today (along with many other disciplines). In fact, in 2015 our focus has never been more important. The world needs someone to lead the conversation about using our water resources more efficiently and productively, and I believe the University of Nebraska can be that leader. We need to own the global conversation on water. From what I saw in North Platte, we are in a great position to do that. I had the opportunity to hear from several faculty members about their research in beef nutrition and reproduction, entomology and other areas critical to the success of Nebraska agriculture. I even got to tour WCREC’s wind tunnel, which fosters important research related to pesticides, weather and more.

I’m grateful to the faculty and staff who joined me for dialogue, and in particular to those who took time to show me around WCREC and give me a taste of their research. The West Central Research and Extension Center, the university’s “front door” in West Central Nebraska, is meeting important needs in this part of the state and I am impressed with what I saw. The work being done here could not be more timely or locally and globally relevant.

Next stop: the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture in Curtis!

UNK Chancellor Kristensen and NU President Hank Bounds meet with students at UNK on April 13, 2015.
Experiencing #LifeAsALoper
Kearney, NE | April 13, 2015
It’s a great time to be a Loper. That much was clear during my visit to the University of Nebraska at Kearney today, where faculty, staff, students and stakeholders gave me a very warm welcome. And I loved being greeted by the Archway on my drive into town! There’s a real sense of energy and momentum on the UNK campus, and for good reason. UNK is doing more than ever to serve the Kearney community and the region – meeting student needs, producing talented graduates, driving the economy and enriching the quality of life for Nebraskans.

The campus is an educational and economic hub for rural Nebraska. Many Lopers come from rural communities, not unlike the one I grew up in back in Mississippi, and are the first in their family to go to college. That 70 percent of UNK undergraduates receive financial aid is a testament to the campus’ commitment to access. The education that these students receive when they arrive on campus is second to none, thanks to talented faculty whose first priority is serving students. And we are working hard to expand their opportunities even further. The Health Science Education Complex, a joint effort of UNK and UNMC opening later this year, will make way for many more nursing and allied health students who can help meet critical workforce needs in rural Nebraska. Discussions are underway between UNK and UNL for joint engineering programs that will create a more robust pipeline of STEM workers for our rural communities. Both of these are excellent examples of cross-campus collaboration that demonstrate that the University of Nebraska really is one university.

The campus’ footprint is expanding, too. The new University Village, a public-private, mixed-use development which will transform the way UNK interacts with the Kearney community, represents an exciting opportunity for UNK to enhance its role as a hub of regional economic growth. The Board of Regents recently approved the anchor project for University Village, a student residence complex, and it will be exciting to see this development get underway.

Many thanks to Chancellor Kristensen for hosting me on his campus today, and to all the students, UNK colleagues and community members who joined me for an engaging discussion about UNK’s opportunities for the future – and how we can share the story of UNK’s success even more widely. Next year, UNK will celebrate its 25th anniversary of becoming part of the University of Nebraska system. I can’t wait to see what kinds of success stories we’ll be telling in another 25 years. UNK’s future is bright!

NU President Hank Bounds speaks to the crowd at Gallery 92 in Fremont, Neb. on April 12, 2015 about what drew
him to Nebraska.

A dialogue with Nebraskans
Fremont & Columbus | April 12, 2015
After leaving Mead, we were back on the road to Fremont, where I was welcomed by a great crowd (and delicious treats from Alotta Brownies) at the beautiful Gallery 92 facility. I shared my thoughts on what attracted me to the NU presidency – starting with the deep connection the people of Nebraska have to this institution – and our responsibility to do even more to grow enrollment, help students graduate on time and with less debt, conduct research in relevant areas like water and agriculture, and continue the good work of Nebraska Extension in serving people across the state. I’m glad I came prepared with my pen and notepad, because our friends in Fremont gave me thoughtful ideas on how the university can be even more successful going forward.

Next up was Columbus, where the stunning Evans House hosted us for a roundtable discussion with local business and education leaders followed by dinner with university stakeholders. Our roundtable, which focused on opportunities and challenges Columbus is facing in growing its economy, provided me with some important insights. I learned, for example, that there are hundreds of available jobs in Columbus… we just need to make sure we’re producing talented workers who can fill those jobs. The University of Nebraska should be playing a leading role, building on the work of our colleagues in K-12 and partners in the community college system to produce skilled graduates who can meet workforce needs in our communities. I’m grateful to the Columbus leaders who took time on a Sunday evening to have a candid discussion with me. I look forward to continuing our dialogue about how the university can support their efforts to build a competitive economy and increase educational attainment in Columbus.

After dinner, we hit the road again, bound for Grand Island. On the way, I witnessed a gorgeous sunset… a reminder of how blessed I am to call Nebraska my new home. Tomorrow I have a full day of sessions with stakeholders, faculty, students, community members, the news media and others, including a visit to the University of Nebraska at Kearney and a stop at a local high school. I can’t wait to meet with current and prospective students, who are the primary reason I do what I do.

Thanks to new friends in Fremont and Columbus for such a warm welcome on Day One of my Nebraska tour, and a special thanks to Regent Jim Pillen of Columbus for hosting our activities and keeping the conversation lively. On to Day Two!
University of Nebraska
3835 Holdrege Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68583 | 402.472.2111 | Comments?
©2015 University of Nebraska Board of Regents